STUDENTS FIRST ACT PASSED BOTH CHAMBERS AND SIGNED INTO LAW BY GOVERNOR REYNOLDS ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 24TH
Summary of the Program
• Parents who choose to enroll their children in an accredited private school for the 2023-24 school year will receive $7,635, the amount of per pupil funds allocated
annually by the state, to use for tuition, fees, and other qualified expenses.
• Other student funding generated by categorical funding formulas will remain with public school districts. It’s estimated that Iowa’s public
schools will retain approximately $1,205 per pupil in categorical funding for each student who resides in their district, yet chooses to attend a
private school, generating an automatic boost to their budget.
• ESAs will be available based on the following eligibility:
- 2023-24 School year – All Kindergarten Students, All Public School Students, Nonpublic School Students with family income at or below 300% Federal Poverty Level
- 2024-25 School year – All Kindergarten Students, All Public School Students, Nonpublic School Students with family income at or below 400% Federal Poverty Level
- 2025-26 School year – All K-12 Iowa students, regardless of income
For additional info on ESA implementation, and to sign up to receive updates directly to your Inbox, visit the Department of Education webpage on ESAs.
The Iowa Legislative session closed on Thursday, May 4th, 2023.
Please go to our Newsletter page to read the latest news and to sign up for news and action alerts.