The Iowa School Choice coalition is interested in the creation of a universal Education Savings Account (ESA) in Iowa. Under this proposal the following could be possible, depending on program design:
- Potentially every Iowa student would be eligible to receive a grant equal to a portion of the state per-pupil funding.
- Students would use that grant for educational expenses such as private school tuition, textbooks, tutoring, and online learning.
- All students would be eligible regardless of their income level.
- Any funds not used by graduation could be used for tuition at an Iowa college or university.
- This program would allow true, universal school choice and inject the positive force of market competition into the Iowa educational arena.
Here’s a helpful summary of how ESAs work: IowaACE_OnePager_ESAs